Many homeowners choose this day as a reminder to do other important tasks around the house. Here are a few important things you should do this weekend after you set your clocks back:
- Change the batteries in smoke detectors! According to the Charlotte Fire Department, a working smoke alarm increases your chance of surviving a house fire by more than 50%.
- Call a certified chimney specialist to inspect the interior and exterior structure of the chimney. Identifying and removing fire hazards caused by soot build up and obstructions is critical.
- Reverse the direction of ceiling fans to clockwise (switch is on fan motor). This will direct warm air down to living areas. You will save power, money and prolong the life of your heater!
- Flip or rotate your mattresses for even wear and prolonged life. Some experts recommend doing this more often, but twice a year is minimum.
- Energy.gov suggests draining a quart of water from a water heater tank (check your manufacturer’s directions on how to do this for your unit). It helps remove sediment to promote better heat transfer and improve the efficiency of your unit, reducing repair bills over the winter months.